Funafuti Classroom Building Project
Despite new two storey classroom blocks being constructed on five of Tuvalu’s outer islands under the European Development Fund over the previous 10 years, ‘urban drift’ continued to drive population growth on Funafuti Atoll. Nauti Primary School was the largest on Funafuti Atoll and its enrolment of 800 students in 2015 was expected to increase to over 1,000 in 2017 – or approximately 10% of the nation’s population. Existing school buildings had deteriorated due to the severe marine environment and lack of maintenance and one building flooded regularly. Existing toilets were unhygienic and blockwork walls were severely cracked.
The Government of Tuvalu prepared a project proposal document requested funding for upgrading works from the Australian Aid Program. Alexander and Lloyd was engaged through a competitive tender process to project manage the design, documentation, tendering, contract administration and construction supervision of the project. The project is targeted at international construction contractors active in the Pacific.
A&L is responsible for providing the following services:-
- In-country design mission to meet with Stakeholders, carry out a detailed site inspection including measurements; ground percolation and bearing tests; analysis of existing land tenure, boundaries, existing buildings, services, etc. The team also prepared and presented schematic designs including 3D models.
- Developed Design Report including detailed analysis of building codes, structural, hydraulic and electrical requirements, environmental assessment, implementation strategy, cost planning, risk management and developed drawings.
- Construction documentation including architectural, structural, electrical and hydraulic drawings, construction specification, tender documentation, pre-tender estimate, etc.
- Assistance to the Tuvalu Central Procurement Unit (PCU) through the tender process including tender advertising; hosting a tender site briefing; responding to tenderers’ queries; attending the tender opening and tender reporting.
- Assistance to the CPU through contract negotiation and formation including preparation of contract documents for signing.
- Contract administration and construction supervision including daily supervision by the local Site Superintendent and attendance by the international Project Architect at monthly progress meetings.
Management of the Defect Liability Period (DLP) including inspections at 6 month and 12 month intervals.